- On August 16, 2016
- 0 Comments
May is the National Bike Month celebrated in the USA. Canada and the United States also have an annual event – Bike to work day. The idea is to promote the bicycle as an option for commuting to work.
In Europe, we have a Cycling Festival which the Netherlands is offering. (They have 22.5 million bikes and 17 million people) The Netherlands is trying to pass on their experience to the rest of Europe. The idea of the festival is to promote cycling as the most greenhouse gas efficient and climate-friendly transport mode. The Dutch want to show us that cycling is fun, healthy and efficient.
Cycling can improve the quality of life. It is said that children who cycle to school can concentrate better and employees who cycle have fewer sick days. The promotion of active transport is part of the resolution of the physical inactivity as a public health problem. If cycling replaces the short car trips, this activity will definitely have a positive environmental effect.
If you start riding a bike to work or school, you will change your way of living! Here are some of the many benefits you can gain:
- Cycling is a great workout! You will get fit without even trying!
- Riding a bike can reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- You will save money from public transport or car rides.
- Your car will have a longer lifespan. Or you can sell it and save some more money!
- You will fight climate change! You will reduce your carbon footprint.
- After few months on the bike, you will know your city and neighborhood better!
- Cycling is a synonym of freedom!
- Sports reduce anxiety, so you will definitely reduce your stress levels.
- You will live longer! (study)
- A study found that cycling is the happiest mode of transport!
- Bicycles are cheaper and easier to maintain than a car.
Go on, save yourself, your health and the planet. Ride a bike!
Sources: Cycling Festival Europe / “Declaration on cycling as a climate friendly mode of transport“.