- On August 23, 2016
- 0 Comments
In today’s world, pollution is a major problem.
According to PlasticOceans, we produce over 300 million tons of plastic every year.
Plastic pollution is a serious threat. It is not just harming the environment but also essential ecosystems. It is also affecting human health.
Fish ingests tons of plastic each year. Cases of giant whales found dead on the shores because of their stomachs being full of plastics are becoming more and more common everyday. The plastic pollution in the oceans is also poisoning the global supply of seafood. Andreas Merkl, CEO of the Ocean Conservancy says: “Plastic breaks down into small pieces that look like plankton and is eaten by all – from plankton to whales.” According to Plastic Oceans, the ratio of plastic to plankton in the Mediterranean sea is 1:2.
The truth is that plastic can be found everywhere. Thus, it becomes hard to reduce its consumption and therefore the pollution it causes. You want to help? We have some ideas for You:
- When going shopping use reusable product bags. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade.
- Buy your products in boxes, not in plastic bottles. Choose cardboard over plastic.
- Stop using and buying straws.
- Buy reusable bottles for water. At home or at the office you can use glass bottles and you can always keep a refillable bottle handy.
- Bring your own thermos or cup to the coffee shop. There are some places where you will have a discount on the purchased coffee or cake if you bring your own cup or a plate.
- Think more about the products that you put on your face! Most of them have little plastic scrubbers. Consider products with natural ingredients such as salt or coffee grounds.
- You can replace all your plastic boxes at home with cardboard ones. Jars can work too!
- Skip the frozen food section when shopping.